Saturday, September 11, 2004

Summer is finally over.....official

Well, after a week when the weather swung from 'end of summer' back into 'phew, it's a scorcher' we are now definitely into 'Autumn's here'.

Still, I have to conceed that it's weather like this that makes living in the UK so, well - 'interesting'. We don't have a climate as such, just weather. For instance, whilst in north California a couple of years back I was surprised when it actually rained for a while. Shock! Of course I was completely unprepared for a small shower in San Francisco in late October. I had brought all my wet weather gear with me but the weather for nigh on 3 weeks had been entirely benign, sunny every day, and the only consideration was whether to wear a light fleece over a T. or not.

Now, I'm not sure whether I would like a whole summer of constant sunshine, certainly when we get those long spells of hot stuff, everyone gets techy and things just don't run as well. It's wierd, a lack of consistency seems to work for the UK psyche, constantly adapting to what amounts to mild chaos, makes us go with the flow and adapt accordingly, but give us a consistent sort of of weather - be it hot and sunny or cold and snowy or [very] wet and rainy , our whole infrastructure, national, local or even domestic just grinds to a halt.

Hmmm. I wonder if there is any milage into looking into this as a little 'project'. I'm sure there is an article in the subject, if only I can be bothered to research, collate and write it all up. Nope, I much prefer to comment on the fact, let someone else do the work, and then complain that it was my idea first.

Similar to the way we moan about the weather and our lack of preparedness, really.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home