Thursday, August 26, 2004

island hopping

I decided that since I only had around a week on the Isles, I might as well use that time doing some recon, if only for getting a feel of the place.

So at 0930 the following day Chris ran me over to the old stone jetty to await the inter island ferry, going down to St Mary's. Some time later I found myself on St Mary's main high street with lots of shops, banks and places to eat. Quite frankly it freaked me out somewhat, since I'd been used to the quiet of the boat and a lack of facilities for some time. I found a very nice public convenience cum fishermans 'locker area' and proceeded to give myself the first decent wash and clean up in several days - getting all the salt out of my hair and beard was certainly good. Then I had an ice cream and beat a hasty retreat back to the ferry. I was'nt really bothered which island I was going to, I just wanted out of the hustle and bustle of St Mary's.

As it happened I was on the the Bryher ferry, the island just to the west of Tresco.
Now, if Tresco can be termed the 'Isle of Chelsea' then Bryher can be likened to 'The Beach' from the novel of the same name. To say it is a bit hippyish would be to denigrate the place, but it is a bit rougher, less tidy, even more laid back and gives the impression of being a real community, rather than a collection of holiday homes and support workers that Tresco invoked.

So, landing at the island's new quay [the Anneka quay - since it 'starred' in the TV series, challenge Anneka] I made my way in the opposite direction of everyone else on the ferry, towards the north. There was a definite mediteranean feel about this place, reinforced by the heat [it was hot] and the red tiled house nearby. Before too long, I came upon the island pub - Fraggle Rock [which came first, the name or the TV series?] where I partook of a pint and a sarnie. Both very good, so worth a return visit then. Wandering off, I eventually crossed the island to the wild west coast and found a horseshoe bay, with a crescent of white sand at it's head, and completely empty.

Since I had the place for myself I stripped off and had a quick and chilly dip in the Atlantic, before stretching out for another nap.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home