Monday, January 22, 2007

THE LITTLE OLD LADY INCIDENT

More roadworks. The Cob in Porthmadog always seems to have some sort of hold up on it so it was to be expected. What was’nt expected was my passenger door being opened as I sat there at the lights and a little old lady jumping in.. I just sort of sat there open mouthed thinking….. I don’t know what… maybe she thought she was getting into a car she recognised or her son’s car which just happened to be red………. Whatever!

Any thoughts along these lines quickly dissolved away when she asked me where I was going…errr Dolgellau I stammered still too surprised to say anything other than to answer her. O good you can drop me off in Mallwyd, I’m going to the institute.

Traffic was now moving ahead of me and I found I had 3 options, order her out, go out and drag her bodily from the car or give her a lift. Cars were behind me so I did’nt think options one or two would be desirable… I could just see the headlines if I dragged her from my car, so it was going to be hobson’s choice for me ie no choice at all. Off we went.

At least she did’nt smell, even though she was a bit scruffy.. in a sort of bag lady kind of way. Before I knew it she had winkled out my name, antecedents and most other things and then wanted to give me a bible, of which she seemed to have a fair number in a voluminous bag.

She kept up a non stop gable all the way there, her eyes twinkling as she regaled me with tales of other lifts she’d been ‘given’ over the years. I asked her if it would be better if she hitched or thumbed for a lift like everyone else. Oh she’d thought about it, but this way was better. You were guaranteed a lift, she reckoned that she’d never been kicked out of a car and people often went out of their way to get her to where she wanted to go… all in all quite a quick witted little old lady, not to be trifled with I thought.

4 Comments:

Blogger SingleFin said...

It strikes me as being a little unfair - I bet that if I were to try this, there'd be uproar and I'd end up walking, possibly inside a jail cell. Still, at least I can open my own jam jars.

4:12 pm  
Blogger Tiago Grosso said...

How u doin mate!!!
Check out my surf photoblog about surfing in the Algarve, Portugal!

http://algarvesurfphotos.blogspot.com

10:51 am  
Blogger pushingtide said...

More lost coast surf posts!

11:59 pm  
Blogger Boatmik said...

I'm wondering if the little old lady is well know around the parts!

In Adelaide we have a guy that kinda busks around the city. Originally he was pretty bad at playing the "Godfather" theme on a xylophone - I get the feeling he does it to be outside and part of city life.

Which he definitely is (like Adelaide's famous basketball/hula hoop man who wears brief swimming shorts and white gumboots and bounces a basketball or plays with a hula hoop in front of late night traffic when it is stopped at the lights.

But a couple of months ago I was in Brisbane - about 2000km away and

dum de dum dum dum de duuuum

There is the xylophone man.

Now I don't know if he is an Adelaide Xylophone man having holidays is Brisbane or vice versa!

Best wishes
And happy canoeing!!!

Michael

11:05 pm  

Post a Comment

<< Home