Monday, October 04, 2004

a lost weekend

A strange weekend. The weather has been pretty awful so having an action packed w/e was'nt really going to happen. I did go round to see Sarah & Wyn on Friday night, which I was'nt going to, there being something of interest on the box. But I was persuaded, and ending up running Mandy [Sarah's sister] home, because she'd drunk too much to drive. I'll tell you about Mandy. She's coming up to 40, single and unattached, and having difficulty living with that. So she'd rather be with some-one totally unsuitable than be on her own. And then she wonders why it's not good. She's always skint, but actually has more spare cash and savings than the rest of us put together. She complains about her weight but will drink a bottle of wine in no time, eat a meal and then go snaffle cheese from the fridge later, cos she's still hungry. She comfort eats like it's compulsory. She's a seriously mixed up person.

Anyway back to the weekend that nearly was'nt. Saturday morning dawned windy and wet, so I played on the comp. for while, then in a fit of activity went at hacking the tiles of the bathroom wall with the power hammer. This made me ill from all the dust so I abandoned that, leaving all the shards in the bath, where they still reside on Monday morning, and I suspect will still be tomorrow. The sun came out after lunch so I went down the peninsula and called in on Juliet. Five minutes later I was on my way again, I did'nt want to linger and it was fairly plain that J had other things to do. I went for a walk down to the Sands, where there were a lot of surfers not getting many rides in the frankly rubbish surf.

Then I went home and shut the door on the world.

Sunday morning, atocious weather, rain and winds. Felt a little flu-y so lit a fire, read some, felt better, watched TV all afternoon, made supper, watched more Tv and went to bed. From that short conversation with J, which hardly counts, I have'nt interacted with another human being in any meaningful way until this morning, when I said hello to one of my workmates.

This is not the way I want to spend my weekends. Lets face it work is so demanding of our time, we need to make the most of our free days. It's not the fact that I saw no-one. I can deal with that, if I were sailing s/handed round the planet I would be alone for months. No being alone like that does'nt bother me, just like being alone on holiday does'nt bother me.... because I'm doing something, I'm occupied and absorbed.

But this last w/e was just.... a waste. And I hate wasting time like this, so we have a lost weekend.

.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home