Thursday, November 18, 2004

long time no blog

It's been a while since I had anything much to say on here. Ok there was an amusing little tale the other day, but that was essentially a copy/paste job from elsewhere.

So what have I to say today. Well very little of import if truth be told. It's now the middle of November and wet and somewhat cold. I'm doing nothing about sorting the bathroom out at home, the kitchen is 95% finished but again that additional 5% just is'nt being done. Then there's the boat, which I told myself I was going to get in the water early next year. Well, I'll be surprised if it happens before easter.

So what am I doing with my spare time, that precious period between Friday afternoon and Monday morning?

Not a lot, seemingly. I'm being very lazy, and sort of drifting into the day via a cup of coffee and a couple of hourse playing on the computer. I don't think I reached the stage of ennui, yet, but I really need to pull myself together and get something done.

That something will come in a couple of weeks when I head up-country [and over a bit] to have a reunion with my old college friends, it being 20years since we all met up in Avery Hill in London [now Greenwich University]. The thing is, as the date aproaches, I'll get more and more despondent about having to drive up there what with all the traffic chaos which marks any journey in the UK these days.

Life out here on the western fringes is so laid back, that anything beyond sonambulance can be regarded as a stressful experience, which most normal urbanites would take in their stride.
It may mean that unless I have a pressing need to go east of Offa's Dyke, I'll do anything to stay here. And yet I still want to go to California again next year.

I also want to down-size myself, to be rid of all those extraeneous bits of material which tie us down. But the thing is you see, is that I'm an acquisitive person, and just sort of collect *stuff* around myself. So I'm in a constant state of war with the other me, the one who wants simplicity.

I expect I'll have to compromise and have the notional three piles: must keep, not sure, get rid. These can be in the form of lists and such like [not a literal three piles- where would 27' of boat go?].
Perceived wisdom says that the largest piles will be keep and not sure, so once the excercise is done, and the get rid pile is ........ errr... got rid of, you start the process again. Then you wait a while, weeks or months even and repeat it. That's the theory anyway.

we'll see, and if I'm in the mood, I may even publish the results here!

2 Comments:

Blogger SingleFin said...

I know exactly what you mean! Recently, I forced myself to ditch 50 metres of co-ax network cable, an electric drill motor and a moth-eaten mirror spinnaker, all of which I'd been holding on to because 'they'll come in handy one day' and they haven't for about six years now...

7:09 pm  
Blogger the lost coast said...

you'll need them next week

11:07 pm  

Post a Comment

<< Home